I have just finished teaching a 3 evening course with a small bunch of baptists on evangelism. I’ve had a ball. The course was called ‘Brighter- helping you to shine’ and covered 6 sessions:
Part of the process was teasing out their story as well as the gospel story, and in their own words having confidence to talk to others about what they believe without delivering a speech, pitch or patter.
The group surprised me with their stories, and on one evening we heard 6 stories from the group which had such powerful accounts of rescuing in the midst of helplessness and heartache. Blew me away. Even one person put his story to juggling!
To build up to their ‘testimony’ they did something called the ‘6 word story.’ It’s a sound bite of something of their story. This is what the group came up with:
- Not for me, but it is!
- Too busy, heart opened, have peace.
- Always knew, didn’t understand, now fulfilled.
- Atheist, agnostic, believer, now at peace.
- Independent and lonely, broken then reborn.
- Jesus far away, now he’s close.
- Helped me to have tolerance and compassion for all.
- Godly parents, rebelled, disobedient, now His.
- Hurt and alone, at peace again.
- Found by Jesus, full life expanded.
- Cleansed burdens lifted, grateful and empowered.
- Rejected, unloved, found Jesus, love, hope.
- Muddled through, found Jesus started life.
- Taught stories early, revelation, teach others.
- Christian home, personal commitment, God’s faithfulness.
- Became a Juggler, grew in faith.
- Heard often, suddenly enlightened, joy full.
- Self-centered, now outgoing and sharing.
As a group, they also listed what they considered to be the good things about being a Christian:
- Being loved unconditionally
- New start
- Security in knowing I’m going to heaven
- Never feel completely alone
- Acceptance of myself because God loves me
- To be able to share God’s love
- Not afraid of death
- The joy of knowing Jesus
- To be loved whatever my faults or past life
- Strength and power of The Spirit
- Gift of self control
- Trust in prayer
- I know where I am ultimately going
- Christian fellowship
- To be able to hand my burdens over
- Recognise other Christians
- Supported by my Church family
- Less worry about family discord
- Understand and celebrate God’s world
- Spiritual gifts
- Joy and peace
- Excitement about the future
- Being blessed by children
- Never alone because Jesus is there
- Feeling on the right wave length in my life
- To know that I am truly loved
- Confidence in decision making
- Kept out of trouble
- Provision of all my needs
It has been a delight to teach this small group of people who are willing to let ‘others in’ on what they have and seek to shine brighter with Jesus.